Year is here and, because of the rough economy, it’s more important that ever
to resolve to be a savvy consumer. Here are the top 10 BBB Resolutions to fight
scammers, prevent identity theft and save money in 2011.
of “job” offers to make easy money … (work-at-home)
2. Look for the BBB seal and always check a business out with BBB before
you buy … visit bbb.org to review BBB Reliability Reports
3. Always read the fine print—especially for “free” trial offers …
your computer safe … install anti-virus software
5. Never wire money to someone you don’t know … money sent via MoneyGram
or Western Union is extremely difficult
6. Fight identity theft … shred paper documents … dispose of computers,
cell phones and digital data safely … “Shred It & Forget It”
7. Ask BBB for help. File a complaint with your BBB if you have a
disagreement with a business or have been ripped off by a scammer.
8. Create a budget and stick to it.
9. Fight fake check fraud … be wary of checks that come with claims that
you’ve won the lottery, are eligible for a government grant or have landed a
job as a secret shopper.
10. Get everything in writing. Don’t just take a business’ word for it.
advice you can trust from your BBB, visit www.bbb.org. For personal assistance, call
409/835-5348 or 855 BBB-SETX.